Rise Of Islam
Rise of Islam
The birth and spread of Islam are the most remarkable and interesting events in the history of the world. This religion was born in the AD 6th century in Arabia and within a period of one hundred years,it spread in North Africa, Iran, Afghanistan and in some parts of China. In India and South East Asia, Islam spread later other countries. Today there are above one billion Muslims in different parts of the world.
Sources of the Islamic history
1. Chronicles and semi historical works - The history of the Islamic lands between 600 and 1200 is based on Chronicles or tawarikh which narrate events in order of time,and some semi historical works such as biographies, records of sayings of the Prophet and commentaries on the Quran.
2. Documents - Documentary evidence such as official orders or private correspondence is very useful for writing histories.
3. Monuments, coins, inscriptions - Some evidence has come from archaeological sources,coins and inscriptions are the sources. They are valuable sources for economic history, art history and for establishing names and dates.
4. Historical Researches - University professors in Germany and Netherlands began to write proper histories of Islam in the 19th century
Prophet Muhammad was the founder of Islam. He was born in Mecca, a famous city of Arabia,in 570 AD. He belonged to Qureshi tribe. At that time, the Arabian society was a prey to many social evils. The Arabs worshipped idols,performed useless ceremonies and were superstitious. Prophet Muhammad was severely opposed to such practices.
At the age of 40 , Muhammad declared that he was the Prophet of Allah or God and he founded Islam. He condemned idol worship and vehemently preached against it. Some people were inspired by his teaching and became his devotees but some became his bitter enemies and created great troubles for him. As a result, prophet Muhammad was forced to migrate with his followers to Madima in 622 AD. This event is known as Hijrat and from this year the Islamic Era begins.
The Prophet Muhammad realised that the necessity of consolidation internally and to protect his followers from external dangers. This protection required the establishing a political institutions such as states and governments. In Medina Prophet created a political order.
Muhammad consolidated his faith for his followers by adding the following rituals and ethical principles.
Teaching of Islam
- Belief in one God and Muhammad as his prophet.
- The duty of praying five times daily.
- Giving alms to the poor.
- Fasting in the whole month of Ramzan .
- Making pilgrimage to Mecca (Haj).